What Would Matt Brady Do? A Tribute to a Donation Hero
My son, Matthew Hesson Brady, lived to enjoy life to the fullest. He never took himself too seriously and had a gift for always making strangers and friends alike feel at ease.
Matt’s special gifts grew to be even more extraordinary when he became an organ donor.
Matt and his girlfriend Kenzie were involved in a severe car accident on March 17, 2012 and they did not survive their injuries. When the Lifeline of Ohio coordinator told Matt’s father and me that he was a registered organ, eye and tissue donor, we weren’t surprised because Matt was always thinking of others.
Matt became an organ donor the following day, March 18, at just 24 years old.
This year’s Dash for Donation is Saturday, July 13. It would have been Matt’s 26th birthday, and I am privileged to honor his legacy and make a lasting impression by creating “Team Brady.” We will be sporting t-shirts and bracelets that ask the question, “What Would Matt Brady Do?” and answer with, “Donate Life!”In celebration of Matt’s 26th birthday, WWMBD inspired the following answers when Matt’s best friends found themselves asking what he would do on a daily basis.
Matt’s 26 daily qualities:
- Be smiling & laughing with a sparkle in his eye
- Be happy, upbeat & enjoying life
- Be kind hearted
- Not be judgmental
- See the best in people
- Protect his sister
- Be friendly and make people feel welcomed
- Hug you!
- Say I love you
- Never want to be the center of attention (but would end up there)
- Be easy going & not take life to seriously
- Listen to music such as Incubus, John Butler Trio, Mumford & Sons, classic 60’s , The Doors or Jimi Hendrix
- Look for an adventure, willing to meet a challenge
- Do something a little crazy, willing to take risks
- Play with young kids, they loved him
- Play soccer & wrestle around with friends
- Play cards & games; just play and have fun
- Hang by a campfire with friends (probably jump over it)
- Climb a mountain
- Make a funny face
- Be “a little” competitive
- Do something to make you smile and laugh
- Read books – some, just because he thought he should
- Make time for a friend, talk and listen to you
And Especially He Would
- Donate Life and
- Live Life to the fullest, creating great memories!
We hope to see you help us form the “sea of green” in downtown Columbus on Saturday, July 13 as we honor other heroes like our son at the Dash for Donation!